Skip to main content
List of Tables
A List of Tables is a reference tool that allows your readers to quickly and easily navigate to data in your thesis or dissertation. Construction of the list is similar to creating a Table of Contents.
NOTE: You do not have to provide a List of Tables if you have fewer than 5 tables.
CHECKLIST FOR LIST OF TABLES
- Appropriately formatted.
- Lists all tables in the document except those listed in any Appendices.
- All titles match what appears in the text exactly.
- All page numbers are correct.
Click on the SHSU tab.
Create tables using the template's table creation feature.
Click on Update All. This automatically updates the List of Tables.
VIDEO: Macro-Template instructions
- Lower case Roman Number (iii), centered, bottom of page.
- Margins: Left margin 1.5 inch. Top, Right, Bottom 1 inch.
- Font: 12 pt. Use same font style throughout document.
- Title: LIST OF TABLES -- ALL CAPS, bold, centered on first line. (Use CHPT_HD font style).
- On the next line, change the justification to Justify. This is the fourth justification selection on the right side of the Right Justify button. It looks like four equal-sized lines stacked on top of each other. This will force the text to evenly space itself between the margins.
- Use RegText to type these two words: Table Page
- Place your cursor in front of the word Page. Use the Tab key on your keyboard to force the word Page to move as far right as possible. When Page goes onto the next line, stop, and use the Backspace key until it is on the same line as Table. Use your spacebar to move Page as far over to the right as you can without moving it onto the next line.
Next, you must set a font style.
Click on the down arrow on the far right side of the visual Style Gallery.
Click Create a Style. This opens a Create New Style from Formatting window.
Change the name to Table title.
Click on Format in the bottom left-hand corner of the window.
Under Effects, make sure that no options are checked.
Click OK. Click OK again.
You should now see your new style named Table title in the Style Gallery.
HOW TO INSERT A LIST OF TABLES
- Click on the Reference tab.
- Click on Insert Table of Figures in the Captions section.
- Under General, make sure that Caption label is set to Table.
- Also make sure that Include label and number is unchecked.
- Click on Options.
- Check the Style box, and select Table title in the dropdown box.
- Click OK.
- Click on Modify. This shows a preview of the font that will be used to create your List of Tables.
- Click on Modify.
- Under Formatting, change the font style so that it matches the font used in the rest of your document:
- 12 pt.
- Left justified
- Click on the Format button, and select Paragraph from the dropdown menu.
- Under Indentation, make sure that Left is set to 0.3.
- Click Ok, Ok, Ok, and Ok to close all of the windows.
- Don’t be surprised if the following appears: No table of figures entries found. This will be replaced with your table titles as you start inserting them into your document.
- When finished, click on the Insert tab, and click on Page Break to start a new section.
Has this web page been useful to you, or does it need tweaking? Please let us know if there is anything we can do to improve the information on this page or this site. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.